Key Stage 4
As students enter Key Stage 4, there are some significant differences in the types of courses which are followed. Briefly, these are as follows:
- All the courses you will follow, except for Guidance and PE, lead to GCSE qualifications ( or equivalents)
- All GCSE courses are linear with examinations at the end of Year 11.
- GCSE is a preparation for future study. The GCSE programme is arranged so that you will have a wide choice in the Sixth Form and beyond. During Years 9, 10 and 11 we have a programme which will support students in making future choices and give students access to independent careers guidance.
- The courses offered at Burnside during Key Stage 4 are aimed at ensuring that all students follow a balanced curriculum, which will provide maximum flexibility in future education and career choices.
The following GCSE subjects are part of the CORE followed by ALL students: English (Language & Literature), Mathematics, Science and PE
Everyone is expected to choose up to four OPTION subjects:
- Art and Design
- Business Studies
- Computer Science
- Design and Technology – Resistant Materials
- Design Technology – Textiles
- Food (Nutrition and Preperation)
- Health and Social Care with Child Care
- ICT & Creative Technology
- Performing Arts
- Religious Studies
- Sport Science